What’s for breakfast at your house tomorrow morning?? It could be this. 🙂 Last week I made this adaptation of a recipe for a blueberry breakfast bake from a cookbook on my shelf. The original was okay, but didn’t have a lot of depth of flavor. So, I decided to tweak and play around with it some. The strawberries were a choice made more because they’re in season and WAY cheaper than blueberries. I’ve never baked fresh strawberries before, so I was a bit surprised that they lost a fair amount of their color. It wasn’t the prettiest thing I’ve ever made, but it was pretty yummy. (AND, if you want to make it this week, I know Aldi has strawberries pretty inexpensively through 5/8!)
Make Ahead Strawberry Breakfast Bake
- 8 slices white bread, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, chilled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 Tbl sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 8 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Grease a 2 quart baking dish. Spread half of the bread pieces evenly in the baking dish.
- Mix sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Toss cream cheese cubes in the cinnamon-sugar mixture. Top bread pieces with cream cheese. Sprinkle any remaining cinnamon-sugar over the top.
- Evenly scatter strawberry pieces over the top. Then spread remaining bread over strawberries.
- Whisk together the eggs, milk, and vanilla until well blended. Pour over bread as evenly as possible.
- Cover and refrigerate 8-24 hours.
- A little more than an hour before breakfast time, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake, covered, for 30 minutes. Uncover and continue to bake an additional 25-30 minutes, until center is set.
- Serve with confectioners’ sugar or syrup… preferably strawberry. 🙂
If you make this, please let me know what you think. Also, please tell me if you try it with any other fruits and how it turns out. Have a super week!!